Campus and Facilities
The campus is located in a tranquil, serene, and ecological friendly environment. The campus will be purpose built for Mission Hills specifications, located on property currently owned by Mission Hills and immediately adjacent to the resort in Shenzhen.
By car, it is only 30 minutes from Shenzhen City Center, 1 hour from Hong Kong and 1.5 hours from Guangzhou. A nearby MTR station is due to open in 2018.
The Pre-School is located in a newly build, spacious and well-equipped facility adjacent to the site of the new school campus and will open from September 2015. It offers a vibrant, exciting and nurturing environment in which young children can thrive.
The state-of-the-art-facilities for the Lower and Upper Schools will open in September 2016 with design features incorporated as follows:
- Design Goal – build an iconic school structure that reflects both the great traditions of Chinese architecture with the natural green and open beauty of the Mission Hills Resort area. Further, we wish to create an inspiring and aesthetically pleasing environment, which enhances the personal wellbeing of all who use it.
- Exterior – emphasis will be placed on the horizontal with a large roof that floats over the base. Design themes of water, sand, green vegetation and other natural materials are evident throughout.
- Interior spaces – will be contemporary and modern in nature. We seek to create a light, bright and airy atmosphere.
- Student Commons – further inside, both the Lower School and Upper School Student Commons areas act as multi-purpose vestibules or public gathering places that serve to build a sense of community. The main public areas (Library, Dining Hall, and Sports Hall) are accessible from the Student Commons.
- Flexible Spaces – in each wing and on every level, ancillary breakout areas will be provided, offering students the option of working individually or as part of a small team in a purpose built supervised area.
- Natural Light – the design will maximize the amount of incoming sunlight and will use a combination of floor to ceiling windows, skylights, and large windows. A majority of exterior windows will be operable for access to fresh air when appropriate.
- Technology – the building design will make extensive use of new technology and will support the use of IT wherever the location.
- Climate Control – a climate control system will maintain a comfortable temperature in all learning and activity environments. All teachers will have control of the temperature range in their respective room or center.
MHIS is located in a secure and fenced off campus next to the Mission Hills Resort, accessed only by a private 3-lane road solely for MHIS's uses.
We treat the security of the students and staff as a fundamental and imperative status quo, as we do for the members and guests visiting Mission Hills Resort. At Mission Hills Resort in Shenzhen, we have a professional Security Team with over 350 guards. Our Security Team will allocate Security Guards for MHIS, 24 hours, seven days a week. Our security will continue to adapt and strengthen as necessary to ensure that our students and faculty enjoy the safest learning environment as possible.